1920 - 1992
Rear Gunner - Stirlings
In caelo auxilium (Aid from the skies)
. No 295 was formed on 3 August 1942 at Netheravon and was equipped with Whitleys. These were supplemented by Halifax Vs in February 1943 and both types were operated until November 1943 when they were replaced by Albemarles , which had begun to arrive in October.
Early operations consisted of leaflet dropping missions, but in June 1943 the squadron towed gliders to North Africa and this continued until September. From October supply drops to resistance forces began and it started training for its part in the forthcoming invasion of Europe.
On D-Day one squadron aircraft (and one from 570 Squadron) dropped the first troops into France, followed by the rest of the squadron towing 21 gliders. In July, the squadron converted to Stirling IVs, which were used in September to tow gliders to Arnhem. The squadron then flew re-supply missions to the troops there until the operation ended. Its next major operation was the crossing of the Rhine in March 1945 and following VE-Day, the squadron flew troops to Norway to disarm German forces there. Various trooping missions were then carried out until the squadron disbanded on14 January 1946.
|The squadron reformed on 1 February 1946 at Tarrant Rushton in the pure transport role, equipped with Halifax VIIIs, but on 31 March 1946 it was disbanded again. Its third incarnation began on 19 September 1947 when it reformed in the airborne forces role, once more, at Fairford, but this was also short-lived as the squadron disbanded on 1 October 1948.